Just finished rebuilding my Reliance banjo ukulele. It was in a right state when I got it. The tone ring had obviously been repaired sometime in the past, but really it was never ever going to hold a skin. Here's a photo of it before I took it to bits. I didn't really know what I was going to do with it.
I ended up getting hold of a new tone ring that had been salvaged from another banjo ukulele. Unfortunately the new one fits a slightly smaller body. My neighbour made me a smaller body and voila!
You'll see that the body is still a little too big for the tone ring, but it's not too far off. In the end it actually worked out pretty well with the new body size as I was able to attach the neck without having to do any major surgery. If the body had been too small there was a danger that I'd have had to lengthen the neck. I didn't and I'm happy.
It's hard to find out the history of the Reliance banjo ukuleles, but they were most likely manufactured in Birmingham by George Houghton sometime in the 1930s.
The finishing touch was putting the Reliance logo back on the headstock. I'd taken photos and touched up the results until I had something close to the original but I struggled to find a way of getting it printed. I wasted a lot of time and money on water-slide transfers but I couldn't get it to print without smudging. In the end I used the services of Zazzle to print a one-off car bumper sticker. The results are pretty good, although I would have loved to have been able to achieved the gold-leaf effect of the original on the surround.