Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

10 July 2010

Unknown Banjo Ukulele


I haven't got a clue what brand this Banjo Ukulele is. Please let me know if you have any ideas. It had obviously been dropped before I got it; The base had a couple of sizeable cracks. I decided just to glue them and sand it flat.


Given how thin the neck is, I'm thinking that this is actually a novelty piece or a toy.

The base had a wooden backplate that was held in with nails. Each had a small rivet-like neck that kept a small gap for the sound. Unfortunately one nail had been lost and the backplate was bursting open. As I searched the internet trying to find out more about this Ukulele I came across a picture of an LA Pacific model which looks pretty similar. Interestingly, it looks like the LA Pacific has a sealed back with cutaway fs instead. So that's what I decided to do here. It was a bit of a hamfisted effort, but the results aren't too bad.


I toyed with sticking an LA Pacific logo on the head, but decided against it in the end. Here's the logo I crafted in case it is any use to you:

6 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job - I'm really impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. I was just experimenting really. I wish I'd taken a lot more photos. Even a before and after would have been useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have the same banolele and i was searching for the information.

    really apreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found one in an antique shop for 50.00. Needs strings, but no cracks and looks really straight. What do you think; buy or not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. just found one in an antique shop for 50.00. Needs strings, but no cracks and looks really straight. What do you think; buy or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what currency you're talking Lauren, but 50 pounds would certainly be a lot for this sort of uke unless it was a good branded one.

      Delete