Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

13 December 2011

The Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness (1992)

Ever been trapped in time, surrounded by evil?

Yeah, me too!

"I could even have been king!"
Evil Dead 3, Renaissance Pictures 1992

If there was ever a final film in the Evil Dead Trilogy, I think that I might just have watched it! Army of Darkness picks up where Evil Dead 2 leaves off with Ash Williams transported back into the past to battle against the Deadites.

What a stupid film...

But what a great film!

After a quick round-up of where we left film 2, Bill and Ted Raimi quickly crank up another roller-coaster instalment of goofy madness. It runs like a comic book and is very heavy on the corny humour.

"I may be bad, but I feel good!"
Evil Dead 3, Renaissance Pictures 1992

Bruce Campbell is back and if the DVD cover is to believed... he's ripped! All he wants to do is get back home to his own time, but not before bedding Embeth Davidtz and teaching 'the primatives' to fight.

What's not to like about that?

I loved the whole haunted forest episode. The Raimi twins do such a great line in madness. This time a shattered mirror gives rise to a multitude of Ash's mini-mes intent on possessing him and stealing his soul. It's Gulliver with demons! And as a bonus, it gives rise to Ash's Nemesis, a crazy Deadite who I'll christen 'Evil-Ash'.

Update: It would appear that I wasn't the first person to think of 'Evil-Ash'. This reminds me of the time that I wrote 'Hard Days Night' only to discover later that the Beatles had beaten me to it. Oh well...

Why the long face Ash?
Evil Dead 3, Renaissance Pictures 1992

Once again the story circles around the Necronomicon - the Book of the Dead. It got Ash sent to the past, and it's what'll get him sent back to the future. All he needs to do is to find the book and utter the mystic words: 'Klaatu barada nikto'. What could possibly go wrong?

I could explain... but I won't...

You will remember that Ash had a chainsaw attached to his stump of a hand at the end of Evil Dead 2. What would you say if I was to tell you that he upgrades this with a mechanical iron fist? Personally, I'd say 'Cool!'

There are so many iconic scenes... The camera-work is fantastic!

Ash on the war path
Evil Dead 3, Renaissance Pictures 1992

Having stolen back the Necronomicon, Ash then has to keep his hands on it. Evil-Ash resurrects an 'Army of Darkness' in an attempt to spoil his plans. I was getting flash-backs to the final Lord of the Rings film here. All right, the special effects were a little less polished, but there are parallels to be drawn if you've got the energy. I haven't right now... so let's move on...

The dead rise!
Evil Dead 3, Renaissance Pictures 1992

And, I know I've said it at least twice before, but I'll say it again... I love the special effects. There's so much ambition and invention that I defy anyone not to get carried away.

I do believe that I'm gushing! :-)

It's been a while!

Okay - let's round this baby off.

On the Triple-B I'm going to repeat 'Klaatu barada numptie' 8 times and your magic-men can send me back home. And look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah!

Gimme some sugar, baby!




No comments:

Post a Comment