Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

25 April 2012

Tito-Matini Mandolin Disaster!

I've come into the possession of a mandolin. It's a complete disaster. I don't know too much about it, but it was made in Naples probably in the 18th century by F Tito-Matini, and it is a complete wreck! I was going to say that it's obviously been dropped a few times, but actually I think that it might have been used as a club at some point. There are signs of repair, but unfortunately in my opinion this has gone past the point of recovery.


Even if it was in pristine condition I don't think that it would be worth anything. I'm considering taking it apart and maybe turning it into a mandolele (or is it ukalin?). Let me know what you think.

This is where the neck joins the body. It's loose, but look at the state
of the wood! Can anyone tell me what type of wood this is?

The head is actually loose; It's been snapped off the
neck. See here that a repair has been attempted, but
even if it ever worked, it doesn't any more!

2 strings bad; 8 strings good; 4 strings better?

See here that it's lost the top fret. Why do you
think those two nails have been put in?

The body is pretty beaten up but see here the bow in the neck. The
neck can be moved about pretty easily, but I think it is close to snapping!

Here's a close-up of the neck repair. Look at the state of that wood!

I like the body, but the wood glue is no longer holding the pieces together.
You can't really make it out here, but there are signs of cracks and other
damage from being dropped.

Here's the label from inside


No comments:

Post a Comment