|Kingcaster Custom Electric Ukulele|
|I had intended all along to use my router to cut out my scratch |
plate. The thing is, I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. After much
head scratching I made a custom jig. I dug out the mdf template I had
previously made for the scratch plate. Essentially all I did was to screw
it to a beam of wood that I secured in my work bench. Sandwiched
in between was 'spacer' bit of mdf and the plastic scratch plate
blank. The use of the 'spacer' is the a lesson I learnt from routing
the body. It simply allows a gap between the shaft of the router bit
(which I used to follow the template) and the blade of the router
bit (which cuts the plastic).
|Here's the finished scratch plate.|
|The last things I did on the body were to fit the pins. That's it!|
The next thing to panic over is fitting the tuning heads. I'm nervous about this. Surely this must be the last chance for me to bugger it up! I'll probably drop this into a short post to clear the decks. Then it'll be onto the wiring and once I'm happy with that... the painting! Oh dear...
Wish me luck!