Here's a panel from my new comic. It's a work in progress. I've drafted four chapters and I'm working on the last one now. The good news is that it's finally got a name; I'm calling it "The Black Pirate" in honour of my Mexicali Rose. The bad news is that the App I'm using to storyboard has stopped working! Damn! I'll give the makers a chance to fix it, but I may have to find another way of getting to the end of this.
I show you this panel for a reason. See the hand-print. This is the design I decided to turn into an inlay. My thinking is that a handprint is the simplest, most basic symbol that anyone can put on anything. I mean, people have been making hand-prints since time immemorial. I resolved to try and inlay a handprint based upon this picture.
You might remember this ebony stock that I was working in my recent trial of my new table saw. I cut out the cracks to create a blank that I can use as a veneer on my banjo headstock. I figured that it might be cool to inlay some maple to give a stark black and white look, like in my comic art.
Here's the final fit. The hand sits proud of the ebony, but my intention was always to sand it flush.
I took a leap of faith and glued the hand in place yesterday and left it overnight to set. It looks pretty messy, but I had faith that once sanded, everything would be fine.